22 Mar 2022
Sports Report: Common Time, Week 8

Sports Report: Common Time, Week 8

Tuesday 8th March

Basketball: U16A v Kings School Winchester (h) L 59 - 41

Fives: vs St Paul's School (a)

Particularly good play in the Singles round form the U14A Wykehamists meant that the Winchester IV took an early lead - Arthur James-Duff impressed in beating the St. Paul's number 1 seed comfortably despite his having a formidable right-hand by not letting him use it. In the doubles, home court advantage meant that St. Paul's provided some stern opposition to tiring Winchester legs but the overall result was never in doubt. An excellent afternoon out in preparation for the National Championships at the end of the month. W89-122(

An inexperienced U14B IV took on the might of St. Paul's - three of the four were playing their first school fives match. Though they did not come out victorious, a lot was learnt about match play. Man of the match for Winchester: Ethan Xiao. L122-84 (JM)

Rackets: vs Wellington College (a)

This was a rare opportunity for Bertie Vallat and Henry Nicholls to step up and represent WinColl as first pair. The court was challenging with the ball 'flying' if struck with the usual 'cut'. This negated the dominance of the serve but we patiently overcame this and narrowly took the opening 2 games. At 14-8 in game 3 with match points, a fairly straightforward forehand was put down resulting in a change of momentum. This saw Wellington coming all the way back to initially set and then game. This acted as a wake-up call and we managed to seal game 4, 15-2, and the match.

Stephen Lam and Alex Harker, playing as Colts A, also came through two tight games at the start. They then narrowly lost game 3 but sealed the win by pulling away in game 4; a solid performance.

Finally, Ollie Frost and Lukas Brunner displayed some efficient serving and receiving to come away with a 3-1 win. (TERC)

Squash: vs Epsom College (a)

The 1st V had a tough match against a strong Epsom side with the home side winning 4-1. The Winchester players played well but in the end their consistency let them down either in length or tightness and their opponents punished the loose shot. The only Winchester player to win was Freddie Fisher whose game and movement improved as the match progressed. Punishing his opponent’s weak shots and using deception he had a great victory, winning 11-6 in the fifth.

Playing away versus Epsom the U-14 VII had a very good 7-0 win . With the Winchester players putting their Epsom opponents under pressure by serving well, they then placed their shots so their opponents were forced into making mistakes or punishable loose shots .The great advantage was the height of the courts where you could hit the ball so a volley was required which Winchester did to great effect. With the rest of the team winning their matches the final match was between the number 1's. The Epsom player won the first two games 11-7, 11-8 only for Winchester's Rory McGregor to display real tenacity to win the final three games 12-10 ,11-9, 11-9. The victorious team are now looking forward to their final match of the season versus Eton. (RAA)

Tuesday 8th-Thursday 10th March: Golf v OWs & The Micklem Trophy at Woking GC

The Micklem Trophy has been talked about by the golf team for weeks. The chance of playing in a competition against some of the most prestigious golf playing schools was always going to be a fun challenge.

On Tuesday we played against the Old Wykehamists and it was very enjoyable. Playing against golfers, some significantly older, is an interesting task but one where their experience and knowledge often compensates for their lack of power off the tee. It was great to get to know some of the OWs whist also learning about the way the course plays and to beat them 3-2 was the icing on the cake.

On Wednesday it was time for the Micklem. We were drawn against Charterhouse and after a nervy start everybody got into their game. Across the five matches the young tyros of MP Jack Bristowe and JP Arthur Hampel grabbed the wins; Jack with a 3&2 victory and Arthur claiming his win on the last. Skipper Adrien Joly was one down on the 18th tee but won the hole and forced a pay-off hole back down the first. A solid par was unfortunately not quite enough as his opponent scored a birdie 3 to win the hole and take the match 3-2.

This meant the boys faced Harrow in the semi-final of the Plate competition on Thursday. All their top three seeds were playing as scratch handicap so we were up against it from the start and unfortunately, we were unable to grab the win. Even though we lost it was a great experience playing in The Micklem at the Woking golf course and I am sure in the years to come we will have a good shot at winning. (A. Hampel. B)

Thursday 10th March
Basketball: U18A vs Canford School (a)
Winchester took a team lacking a number of experienced top years and a few other squad members who were taken away with other commitments. Canford is always a tough, physical fixture and this match came at a time when the U17s are stepping up to the increased physicality needed at this level. And a physical test it was. Khan played with his usual fire, pace and commitment, but had to leave the court with a nosebleed after catching a clumsy elbow after stealing a rebound from Canford's huge centre - typically, however, within minutes he was back on the side-line frustrated and eager to get back in the action; his play in the final minutes was crucial. Debutantes Kashirin and Etuokwu got stuck in impressively, the latter scoring 8 points inside against much bigger players. Akinyanju high scored, including the final 'nail in the coffin' shot. Stone had one of his best matches running the point. Ahearne was tough on the boards ably partnered by Bullen and Keegan, and Yao and Ashford took up good positions and shot with encouraging confidence. General Custer famously said 'It's not how many times you get knocked down that count, it's how many times you get back up' but, unlike at Little Big Horn, on this occasion Winchester's determined defence and calmness under pressure (at the end of the game) allowed them to hold their position and pull away to a well-deserved win. Much of this season has been about building for next year, and the resilience and concentration Winchester showed at the end of this scrappy battle bodes very well. W43-29 (LNT)

Cross Country: Clayesmore Relays
Our senior team comprised of Jack Pascoe, Mark Magura, Henry Akerman and Georg Graepel, ran an excellent race to win the Clayesmore relays, with times of 6:08, 6:11, 6:31 and 6:11 respectively. The Inters team, comprised of Issa Duggan, Hugo Brett and Benedict Judge, came 8th in the Clayesmore relays, out of a strong field. Special mention to Issa Duggan for running two legs of the relay due to a lack of available runners. Lap times were: 6:37 (Duggan), 7:03 (Judge), 6:55 (Duggan, 2nd), and 7:07 (Brett). (JB)

Fencing: 1st vs Bradfield College (a)

Foil A: 13-45 (WIN!) Foil B: 25-45 (WIN!)

Epee A: 45-46 (WIN!) Epee B: 38-45 (WIN!)

In a match played in good spirits between the two sides, Winchester won all four contests against Bradfield. Epee A was incredibly close and it came down to a last point decider for Will Goltz in his last appearance for the school in a match. He won priority and in a tense last point scored the winning point against a strong opponent. Kylian Mariani and Tristan Thompson put in a good performance in the Epee B team, the first time we've fielded two epee teams this year. (MSK)

Football: U14A v Milton Abbey School (h)

An excellent all-round team performance produced a 3-1 win, which in my opinion was a very fair reflection on the game. We started well when a Tim Oluwabusola free kick was parried down by their goalkeeper and Seb Kingsbury reacted well and tapped the ball into the net. We conceded a goal midway through the half, when the Milton Abbey forward ran onto the ball and slotted the ball into the far corner of the goal, which was a little against the run of play and the score remained 1-1 at half time.

The second half saw some excellent passing and controlled possession and Seb Kingsbury scored a second when he chased a through ball, rounded the goalkeeper and was able to finish well from an acute angle. However, the goal of the game came a little afterwards. Three passes were played down the right-hand side, starting from Issac Claise at right back into Jason Chiang, then to Kostia Riabyi. A clever side pass into Arthur Duckworth followed and he slipped the ball to Tim, who finished first time- a great team goal, which really epitomised the performance.

A special mention too to Jason Ma and Rocket Boon- Long who were excellent throughout the game, but also to everyone who played who made it a very enjoyable afternoon of football., well done. W3-1 (PNG)

Hockey: vs Eton College (a)

A large squad made substitutions easy and effectively as a somewhat mixed Winchester Hockey XI came up against the Eton 3rd team. They had push back, but our press immediately showed its efficacy and the ball was turned over almost immediately, resulting in a shot in the D within the first thirty seconds. In an eventful first quarter that saw the ball pinging around the opposition D, our centre halves proved their dominance and set us up for a good game. Mario commanded from the back and our new central partnership in defence looked incredibly sturdy. Eton managed to keep the ball off the goal-line but the control the Wykhamists showed was impressive.

We entered into the second quarter with energy and saw great movement on the pitch. Our players shipped the ball around with ease as Nzewi, Lamb, Ormand and Park put in a big shift. Batten left the Eton central players in awe of his fluid stick work and as the quarter came to a close, Shatrov struck a sweet ball from the edge of the D that nestled itself in the bottom corner. With only one goal in hand, a big shift was required in the second half. Winchester received a short corner. Batten injected, Lamb stopped and Hall placed it neatly in the net. In the fourth quarter, the dejected Eton players saw a glimmer of hope as a deflection in the Winchester D hurtled across the goal face. It was quickly extinguished by Hall, who drove forwards and found the net for a second time to put us 3-0 up. The second victory of the season was secured. (Oliver Winter, A)

For the opening five minutes of the match against Eton U15B the U15A team looked a little like they had been sitting on a bus for an hour, which of course they had. They eventually adapted to the pace of the game and were pressing hard. With each match the ball pace and positional understanding has improved. On the ten-minute mark, after the Eton defence weren't able to clear the D after a short corner, Angus Hay snuck a goal from close range. Winchester were gaining momentum, but after two Eton goals in quick succession just before half-time it was difficult for Winchester to get back in the game. In the second half Eton scored three more and Winchester weren't able to upgrade their chances in the D with an in-form Eton GK. In the end Eton came out on top. L5-1 (MJW)

Winkley began the U14A game against Eton U14Bs with lots of drive and energy, and was rewarded with his first goal of the season via a reverse-stick strike to the bottom right corner. Xiao added the second, finishing off a rebound from the keeper after his injection for a Street strike from a penalty corner. Street then added two of his own before half time; one of which was a first-time hit to the bottom left. Much of our control throughout the first half had come via Xiao and Hawkins who regularly stepped in to regain possession and prevented all but one effort on goal, which Hagger calmly saved.

Despite the team changing around, we were still able to move the ball fluently, with Kennedy able to get forward well from right half. Fletcher, having moved up to striker after starting in midfield, made the most of his time in the circle as he added a hat-trick from what must have been a combined distance of 5 metres. He picked up rebounds off the keeper and finished off a selfless square pass from Jin. The game finished with Street adding his third with a firm strike from the final penalty corner too. W8-2 (JMB)

Rackets v Harrow School (h)

This has traditionally been a key fixture owing to the large amount of silverware Harrow has accumulated in the past and the top-level teams Harrow always possess. Our 2 yearlings’ pairs, Arthur James-Duff and Will Hammerson-Jones along with Jamie Mitchell and Seb Kingsbury, played 2 matches each and shared the spoils with a positive demonstration overall. The Junior Colts, Jack Bristowe and Lukas Bristowe, also looked a little rusty initially but managed to pull out an emphatic 3 -0 win with some solid returning and rallying. The second pair, Arthur King and Ollie Reynolds, were blown away by the opposition in the first 2 games due to a lack of court time this season. However, they improved fast and only narrowly lost game 3 and the match
Finally, to the weighty First Pair contest. Last term at Harrow, this had been a particularly long and high-level affair with match points on either side in the set of the final game. Oli Gibbon and Archie Sillars were keen to overturn the eventual loss on that occasion and, with perfectly measured serving by Oli and sharp rallying play by Archie, they started well winning game 1. Harrow fought back having familiarised themselves with the benign nature of the court, and seized game 2. However, Oli and Archie seized control again and after some closely fought points, captured the next 2 games and the match. This was an impressive result. (TERC)

Rugby Sevens: U15A VII v Lord Wandsworth College (a)

The MP year group has seen a consistent turn out for raining across the term and so a match against Lord Wandsworth was arranged in order to give these boys an opportunity to put what they have learned into practice. Three blocks of matches were played allowing all the boys to get plenty of game time.

The first competitive block started and within a couple of minutes LWC had exploited a narrow defensive line with a clever kick pass into the winger’s hands who raced half the length of the pitch to score under the posts. Undeterred, the Wincoll boys began to get their hands on the ball and started to threaten the LWC defensive line but too many handling errors resulted in a couple of promising opportunities not producing the outcome they deserved. Impressive runs from Jad Garlick and Anthony Cloke-Brown kept LWC on the back foot and brave scramble defence thwarted the LWC attack. From a scrum at halfway Laolu Agunbiande took the ball down the blind-side, powerfully fended off the defender and raced under the posts for a deserved try. This score promoted a reaction from the home team and they bounced back to take the lead and finish the first match as winners, two tries to 1.

The second block saw a lot of rotations but Wincoll’s lack of experience and physicality was exploited by some savvy LWC players. Several tries were run in by the home team and despite some heroic tackling from William Cai and Max Ingram the game started to get away from us. Steven Wu scored an impressive try but it proved to be no more than a consolation. The 5 tires to 1 score line did not reflect the full story as we probably blew 3-4 try scoring opportunities with dropped passes or holding on to the ball for too long.

The final game saw a much closer affair with the Wincoll boys learning lessons quickly. Maintaining width in defence and displaying a hunger to make tackles LWC had to work hard to make progress but they managed to take a two try lead. Wincoll bounced back with another Steven Wu try and the game was there for the taking. LWC controlled possession a little more, aided by a few unforced errors and took a 4 try to 1 lead. Impressively, the Wincoll boys did not let their heads drop and finished off proceedings with another good try, finished by Agunbiande. There were numerous positive comments from both opposition players and staff commending the boys on their performance, in what for many, was their first competitive rugby match in four years. (MSB)

Friday 11th March: Swimming: The Bath Cup - London Aquatics Centre

Eight boys from the Winchester College swimming team competed in the Bath Cup and John Nalson Medley Trophy at the London Aquatics Centre swimming in the Olympic pool. Team Captain, Taiga Kawada-Williams led the 400m freestyle relay to second place in their heat, while in the 200m medley our boys finished fifth in their heat. Unfortunately, neither qualified for the final in either competition, but there were excellent performances by Michael Yan, Khalid Elsheik, Miles de Speville, and Alexander Ling. (PHD)

Saturday 12th March

‚ÄčBadminton: U18A v Bradfield College U18A (h)

This being the last game of the season, the WinColl Badminton team put forward their best players as they took on Bradfield at Bar End. A 1-1 tie in fixtures this year meant that this would be the decider. The match was played with three pairs rather than four owing to unavailability of players from Bradfield.

WinColl got off to a great start as the first pair of Richmond Yeung and Rudra Patel dominated the game against Bradfield's third, winning 21-7, 21-4. The second pair of Kaito Bremmer and Harris Faizi started on the back foot as they lost their first set against Bradfield's second. However, a strong comeback led to them being victorious winning 21-14, 21-16. The third pair of Ashmit Pande and Alvin Yu had a tough time against Bradfield's top pair losing the game 2-0.

The next round saw WinColl winning two of three games owing to a close call between Bradfield's first and WinColl's second pair. This game came down to the wire. However, Bradfield persevered winning 21-19 and 26-24 against the strong duo of Kaito and Harris. WinColl's other two pairs had an easier time dominating their matches, winning all games under 10.

The last round was the most successful as WinColl bagged three wins of three. This was due to an exceptional performance by the duo of Ashmit and Alvin as they beat Bradfield's second pair 21-9, 14-21, 21-10. Overall, the WinColl team earnt a well-deserved win of 7-2 against Bradfield's Badminton team.

This season has been a huge success for WinColl's badminton team. The team has put in their best efforts and have had an amazing experience while doing so. The two captains, Kaito and Richmond have led the team to new levels as the team has won 9 out of 13 fixtures, Abingdon College and MCS being the two schools the team lost to. To conclude, the WinColl Badminton team had a fantastic season. The team played as one, worked hard and gave it their all. The players will hope to top this fantastic season next year. (R.Patel, I)

Football: v Canford School, Crowne & Manor YC

It was a wonderfully sunny early Spring day for the U17 1st XI who travelled away to play against Canford’s U18 1st XI. We started the game positively and within the opening five minutes scored a goal, with the keeper parrying out a long-range effort to leave McNeil with a tap in. The boys pushed on well with some composed play around the back and kept the Canford wingers away from our penalty box. Late on in the half, an inspired long ball from Seb Fennell into the opposition box was chested down beautifully by Alex Foster, who rounded off the terrific move with a composed finish into the bottom corner.

In the second half, Canford began to creep into the game, having multiple shots and hitting the bar before a deft finish into the bottom corner brought them back into the contest. However, this young Winchester side showed grit and determination and continued to hold out through scrappy parts of an even half. We had several opportunities to extend the lead late on in the second half and alongside some dominant defending and teamwork, the squad closed out the game with a narrow but deserved win. W1-2 (W Whitehead, A)

A really competitive game ensued between the U17 2nd XI and Canford’s U18 2nd XI, with both sides evenly matched. In the first half both sides had a couple of opportunities to go in front but neither side could take them, so the score of 0-0 at half time was a reasonable reflection of the game.

However, we had to make a change at half time as Will Matthews unfortunately injured his leg, resulting in a bit of a reshuffle and a couple of our players playing out of position. Canford benefited from this and scored two quick goals. To our credit we responded really well and scored a slightly fortunate goal when the Canford centre back headed into his own goal. We then had the move of the match with some great passing and a ball into the middle but the Canford keeper pulled off a great save. We pressed really hard for the equaliser but alas it was not forthcoming. Once again, I was really pleased with our attitude to the game throughout and we were slightly unlucky losers when a draw would have been a fairer result in my opinion. L1-2 (PNG)

U17 3rd XI v Canford School 3rd XI (h) W9-0

An U15 XI welcomed Crowne & Manor back to Winchester for a fixture after an absence of two years. With a mixture of ‘A’ & ‘B’ team players involved it gave all the boys an ideal opportunity to continue their competitive development against a very physical side.

The opening period proved to be fairly evenly contested although Wincoll did fail to pick up midfield runners allowing C&M to exert some sustained pressure. Nevertheless, Seb Morgan in goal dealt with shots on goal and centre back Jack Bristowe marshalled the defence well. Laolu Agunbiande fired wide a couple of times and captain Timothy Oluwabusola worked tirelessly up front. Half time arrived at 0-0 and the message was to try and show a little more composure on the ball in order to build up the pressure on the away team.

Unfortunately, the half time instructions fell upon deaf ears as C&M took the lead. A failure to close the ball down allowed an attacking cross to enter the box and the impressive C&M central midfielder opened the scoring. Shortly after, the same player scored an absolute stunner from 25 years rocketing the ball into the top corner to leave Wincoll 0-2 down. However, the home team did not let their heads drop and managed to get a toe hold back into the game after David Sam was fouled in the penalty area. Oluwabusola stepped up and slotted the spot kick to half the deficit. Tails were now up and with Tomo Ohata and Jason Ma gaining the upper hand in midfield Wincoll began to string some attacked together. With time running out more pressure was exerted and the bustling Ohata was fouled in the box leading to a second penalty. Oluwabusola emphatically struck the penalty home and a 2-2 draw was probably a fair result. (MSB)

Hockey v Portsmouth GS (a)

With numerous boys absent due to other commitments, the Winchester College 1st XI boys pulled together to record a 5-0 victory with 11 players. After a couple misses and short corners, Casper Hall scored a fantastic drag flick that beat the goalkeeper, putting Wincoll up 1-0 inside the first 10 minutes. Both teams then pounced on each other's goalmouths, with both sides having multiple chances packed with short corners. Stefan then made some amazing stops off the goal line to keep us ahead at the halftime break.

After a much-needed water break and a brief tactical discussion at halftime, the boys were ready to take on the opponents for another thirty minutes. The game resumed at the high intensity that had been established in the first half, with multiple shots and saves at both ends of the pitch. However, Winchester worked a well-earned short corner, allowing Wilf to clean up a wayward injection with a clean strike into PGS's bottom corner with 10 minutes remaining, putting Winchester up 2-0. The boys then proceeded to attack the opposition's twenty-three, collecting multiple short corners and further goals by David Monahan and Caper Hall, increasing Winchester's lead to 5-0 to take the win comfortably. (MMC)

On Saturday the U15A travelled to PGS where a game that was open and fast moving, and always in the balance, ended with PGS as 1-0 winners. The boys were in the match until the final whistle and had one chance to pull level with a penalty corner in the final minute of the game. Unfortunately, they weren't able to capitalise. Two great performances by the team this week, with plenty of lessons learned. L1-0 (MJW)

In a well-balanced first half the U14As moved the ball and linked together well, especially down the right-hand side through Kennedy, Winkley and Street. One of these attacks lead to the opening goal from Winkley finishing off from mid-circle. Hampson and McGregor were strong in defence whilst Xiao linked the pitch together. Grant-Goodey responded well when called upon too.

We changed the team around at half time and found the going tougher. In contrast, PGS were able to create more opportunities and took two of these early in the half. Street replied with a smart reverse-stick flick to level the game up. However, despite some excellent saves from Hagger we conceded two more before the end of the game. It was great to be able to get so many involved in the game and for some to experience a different level of challenge. L4-2 (JMB)

Strength Training for Youth Athletes

Last Monday evening we were very fortunate to have Chris Ford, Senior Lecturer from Winchester University here with us delivering a talk on Strength Training Amongst Adolescent Athletes. The presentation and video from the evening can be found on the following links.



All fixtures details can be found on: https://sportsfixtures.winchestercollege.org/

Sporting quote for the week:

“Don't look for the big, quick improvement. Seek the small improvement one day at time. That's the only way it happens-and when it happens, it lasts”. (Former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden)

M.S. Burley

Director of Sport

15th March 2022

Twitter: @WinCollSports